The Caldey Swim 2017

After the disappointent of the initial swim on 6th August being postponed, it was with some relief that the swim took place on 20th August. Disappointment, too, for the 31 swimmers who couldn’t make the backup date, but this was a little offset by the 15 new swimmers who ‘swam into the breach’.

Conditions were more challenging than the ‘mill pond’ of last year, but thankfully only one swimmer had to be pulled from the water. And the lifeboats past & present cavalcade was a mood enhancing backdrop to the event. Some photos for you below and here is a little video, taken by one of the kayakers, which is also mood reflective.

So, thanks to the sponsors, the safety crews, the RNLI, Coastguard and Tenby Surflink and Sailing Club personnel and all the organising committee for another Caldey Swim completed.

BEFORE THE SWIM

LIFEBOATS WATCHINGSARAH FINISHESHAPPY FAMILY REUNITED
TENBY MAYORHAPPY CHAPPIES

Advertisements

2017 Swim – 20th August

This Sunday, 20th August, starting from Caldey Island at 11am, we try again! Hoping for better weather conditions than the original date.

The Caldey Island ferry boats with swimmers on board will leave Tenby’s Castle Beach at 10am. The swimmers are due in by 1pm. Finish line, with flags, bananas, spring water and medals – for the swimmers – will be between the harbour pier & old lifeboat house, at the southern end of North Beach.

If you’re not swimming, why not come to see them home – first swimmer due in about 11.40.

Swim Postponed

Apologies to all, but we have had to postpone today’s swim.

SW Winds of up to average 20mph coming in later this morning, gusting up to 27mph which equates to Force 6. Safety of swimmers is our paramount responsibility and it would be too risky, in the our considered opinion.

Replacement date is in two weeks’ time, Sunday 20th August, with the swim starting from Caldey at 11am. So all timings half an hour earlier – we have adjusted them in the event timings elsewhere on this site .

Please contact the organisers if you are unable to participate on the new date.

Looking Good

The weather forecast is favourable, the current conditions superb, so all looking good for Sunday.

However, we shall be formally checking conditions at 7am on Sunday. If conditions change & we consider the swimmers’ safety would be too much at risk, we shall inform you by email as soon after as possible.

We appreciate many of you will have made substantial journeys to take part so please rest assured we will thoroughly consider any decision.

If you will be uncontactable on Sunday morning by email & will not have access to Facebook or this website, where we shall also announce a cancellation, please text a telephone number we could use instead to 07 971 917 496.

We look forward to seeing you all on Sunday,

Tenby Sea Swimming Association